How Can We Help You?
North East Hinsdale Architectural Resources Survey 2006
- The survey area is roughly bounded by Garfield Street on the west, the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad to the south, The Lane on the north, and irregular eastern boundaries consisting of Oak and Elm Streets and County Line Road.
- The proposed survey area encompasses one of the earliest subdivisions in Hinsdale. Alfred Walker's First Addition of 1868 is in the survey area and contains residences spanning a 130-year construction period and is the second survey located entirely north of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad.
- The area contains 233 structures on 14 blocks. Of the 233 properties, 37 or nearly 16% are ranked as significant (that is possessing architectural distinction); 100 or 43% are considered contributing to the survey area's historic character. When current new construction is completed 96 (41%) of the structures will be non-contributing either because they are less than fifty years old or are historic homes that have been extensively altered. There are 12 non-residential buildings, 4 are rated significant, 5 are considered contributing and three are non-contributing.
- The architectural styles consist of Queen Anne, Shingle, Craftsman, Colonial Revival and Tudor Revivals. In addition, there are two large building complexes within the survey area that includes the Hinsdale Hospital Campus, consisting of two blocks and eight buildings, and the Village of Hinsdale Public Works facility, with six buildings that include Georgian Revival pump houses and a water plant.
- The residences at 338 North Elm (designed by George Grant Elmslie) and at 239 East Walnut (designed by Patton and Fisher) have already been landmarked by the Village of Hinsdale.
- The buildings located at 239 East Walnut (1889), 300 Forest (1938), 135 North Oak Street (1946) and the Hinsdale Water Plant (1925) and Well Houses #2 (1928) and #4 (1928) may be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The survey was conducted between October 2005 and January 2006 by Granacki Historic Consultants of Chicago. The purpose of this survey is to identify, document and evaluate historic structures for their architectural significance and to make recommendations for landmark designations. A major portion of the survey was paid for by a state grant awarded to the Village of Hinsdale.