How Can We Help You?
Hinsdale Architectural Resources Survey
- The survey area is mostly rectangular bounded by Burns Field and Ayres Street on the north, Garfield Street on the east, Maple Street west to Grant Street on the south and then Chicago Avenue west to Madison Street also on the south, and finally Madison Street on the west.
- The survey area encompasses one of the oldest sections in Hinsdale. It incorporates two subdivisions, Stough's and Ayres' Addition, platted in 1868 and 1869 respectively, and there are homes still standing that date from that early period in the village's history.
- The area contains 294 structures on 24 blocks. Of the 294 properties, 98% (288) are single-family houses. 125 or 43% of the 294 properties are considered contributing to the survey area's historic character. Among those, 30 structures are rated architecturally significant. When current new construction is completed 137 (47%) of the structures will be noncontributing either because they are less than fifty years old or are historic homes that have been extensively altered.
- The survey area contains a fine mix of architectural styles. From the 19th century, the Italianate, vernacular L-Form and Queen Anne styles are represented. The most common 20th century styles in the area include American Four Square, Bungalow, Craftsman, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial Revival.
- There are four prominent architects represented in the survey area: Jenney & Mundie, William Drummond, Philip Duke West and R. Harold Zook. The latter two were Hinsdale residents.
- The Burns Field Warming Shelter at 320 North Vine Street and the Oliver J. Stough (Spec) House at 319 North Washington Street have already been landmarked by the Village of Hinsdale.
- The buildings located at 134 North Lincoln (1894), 206 North Washington (1890) and 105 North Grant (1912) may be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The survey was conducted between October and December 2004 by Granacki Historic Consultants of Chicago. The purpose of this survey was to identify, document and evaluate historic structures for their architectural significance and to make recommendations for landmark designations. A major portion of the survey was paid for by a state grant awarded to the Village of Hinsdale.