317 South Park Avenue (single-family residence)
The two and one-half story wood frame and wood clad building, was constructed in 1873 in the "Second Empire" style was landmarked by the Village Board on October 1, 2002. The building was substantially remodeled during the 1920s when the roofline was altered, a tower was removed, and the front porch was removed and replaced with an enclosed building addition. In December 2000, while undergoing renovation, the building suffered extensive fire damage to the roof and rear 25 feet of the building.
The building is located on a curvilinear street, on top of a slight hill on a short block at an important and scenic intersection in the historic Robbins Park subdivision, and because of its original tower, was historically known as the Stuart Castle. The house's original owner, John Stuart, was one of the signers of the Petition for Incorporation of the Village of Hinsdale in 1873. He built this house that same year.
Although its original design was in the Second Empire style, the building represents an evolution over several different architectural periods. Elaborate eave brackets, unusual window surrounds and much of the original wood siding with a beaded edge still exist today. The foundation is fieldstone, typical of the time period. The building also displays balustrades and other features of the Colonial Revival style from its 1920s remodeling.
The current owners are rehabilitating the building and constructing an addition on the rear of the structure.
c. 1920. Photo courtesy Hinsdale Historical Society.
Spring 2003 building restoration
Please contact the Village Planner at (630) 789-7030 with any questions and for assistance in designating your home as a landmark.