How Can We Help You?
302 South Grant Street - Membership Organization Building
On February 5, 2002 the Village Board of Trustees adopted an ordinance that designated the property at 302 South Grant Street (known as Immanuel Hall or the former Immanuel Evangelical Church) as a Historic Landmark. Application to landmark the 1900 structure was made by the Hinsdale Historical Society.
This single-story wood frame and clad building was constructed in 1900 in the Late Gothic Revival style, of a vernacular type known as "carpenter Gothic." Major changes to the exterior include the digging of a full basement in 1920, and the replacement of the original roof, front doors, front steps, windows and decoration atop the spire. It is the only surviving, almost originally intact, building of its type in Hinsdale, and one of the few in the region. It was constructed by skilled German immigrant tradesmen, who donated their labor, as members of the, founding German speaking congregation. They were among Hinsdale's early residents at a time when the Village was experiencing significant development.
The building was first used for 64 years as a religious, instructional and society center by a small, close-knit German congregation, the second use for 18 years as the state headquarters for the Illinois Conference of United Church of Christ. Its third use for 17 years was as a Montessori School, until its sale by private parties to the Village of Hinsdale in June 1999 - made possible through the cooperation of the Village, Hinsdale Historical Society, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and a grant from the State of Illinois - in order to save the building from likely demolition. In addition the building was designated by ordinance the Village's first "historic and community landmark" on June 1, 1999, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 9, 2001. In March 2001, the Hinsdale Historical Society took ownership of the property. The preservation of the building has come to symbolize the Village's present commitment to historic preservation.date unknown. Photograph courtesy of Hinsdale Historical Society.
Please contact the Village Planner at (630) 789-7030 with any questions and for assistance in designating your home as a landmark.