122 South Adams - Private Residence
The Village Board designated the property as a Historic Landmark on July 17, 2001 by adopting Ordinance O2001-33.
This house, built in 1886, is another example of the vernacular ("farmhouse") style that was common in Illinois in the late 19th Century. It displays significant original characteristics such as balloon framing, decorative saw-tooth trim detail at the top of its front (east) gable wall, deep overhanging eaves, many of the original wood windows, wood siding and a stone foundation. An addition to the rear of the building was completed in the 1930's, and an exterior renovation was completed in the mid-1990s. The property is the first landmark designated by the Village to receive approval for an exterior alteration, as required by the Hinsdale Historic Preservation Ordinance.
A two-story addition was completed in 2002 on the north side of the structure in addition to a two-car detached garage at the rear of the property. The Hinsdale Historic Preservation Commission issued the Certificate of Appropriateness for the building addition.
Two story building addition completed in 2003.
Please contact the Village Planner at (630) 789-7030 with any questions and for assistance in designating your home as a landmark.