CRIME PREVENTION TIPS
The Hinsdale Police Department wants to remind residents to be cautious and take steps to ensure they verify the identity and sponsorship of door-to-door solicitors before making donations.
The Hinsdale Police Department offers these tips related to phone and in person solicitations:
- Whether in person or by phone, be aware of solicitors using high pressure tactics or solicitors who prey upon your sympathies to get an immediate donation.
- Never feel pressured to provide a payment immediately. At your convenience, research the charity or legitimacy of the company online before you make a decision to donate.
- Never make arrangements to have someone pick up money from your home.
- Be aware that while your caller ID may show a local number many phone solicitors are actually calling from across the state or even out-of-state. It is easy to make calls appear to come from any phone number.
- Be suspicious when asked for ‘cash’ only donations or ‘gift card’ payment.
- Always verify the name of the organization including their address, phone number and the identity of the caller or the person at your door step.
- Never assume that a friendly voice belongs to a trustworthy caller.
- Never allow a solicitor into your home to use the bathroom or to complete paperwork. If a solicitor wants you to come outside, be aware they may have a ‘co-worker’ ready to go into your home while you are distracted.
- Always ask for identification or to see their Village of Hinsdale Solicitor’s permit before listening to any sales pitch. Solicitors should be wearing a blue vest issued by the Village of Hinsdale. A few exemptions from the permit requirement include: juveniles under the age of 15, religious organizations, individuals proselytizing, and political organizations/individuals. See the Village Ordinance for more detail.
- If you pay for a product, always get a receipt.
- Never give your credit card number, Social Security number or birthdate to a solicitor.
- If a product seems too inexpensive or “too good to be true”, it probably is.
- Pick up a Village of Hinsdale “No Solicitors” (3-11-5-A) sticker at the Hinsdale Police Department. You should also register for the “No Soliciting” list on the Village of Hinsdale website (click here).
Contact the Police Department if a solicitor will not take NO for an answer, is very aggressive, violates the No Soliciting ordinance or acts suspiciously.
ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS INFORMATION MAY BE DIRECTED TO THE CRIME PREVENTION OFFICER: KAREN KOWAL, 630-789-7084, KKOWAL@VILLAGEOFHINSDALE.ORG.