120 South Elm - Private Residence
Located in the historic Robbins Park subdivision this previous coach house was designated as an historic landmark by the Village Trustees on November 4, 2003. The two-story wood frame structure was constructed in 1893 in the classical revival style. The structure was originally constructed as the coach house for the landmarked single-family residence located immediately to the north at 244 East First Street. Both structures are rare Chicago example of work by the prestigious architectural firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, of Boston. This firm was known for their commercial and institutional buildings, including the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Public Library.
The structure was moved from the 244 East First Street site in 1955. At that time, the building was rotated 90 degrees and renovated the interior along with construction of a one story, two-car attached garage on the north side of the structure. The building is constructed with balloon framing and has many of the original wood windows. Other original features include recessed full height entry portico with gable roof, shingles and oculus window in the gable. The symmetrical cube shape shows a definite studied formalism associated with this style, as does its horizontal lines, use of columns and fanlight panel.
c.1912 House at 244 East First Street with coach house now located at 120 South Elm Street - photography courtesy of Hinsdale Historical Society.
Please contact the Village Planner at (630) 789-7030 with any questions and for assistance in designating your home as a landmark.