317 South Park Avenue - Private Residence
two and one-half story wood frame and wood clad building,
was constructed in 1873 in the "Second Empire"
style was landmarked by the Village Board on October 1,
2002. The building was substantially remodeled during the
1920s when the roofline was altered, a tower was removed,
and the front porch was removed and replaced with an enclosed
building addition. In December 2000, while undergoing renovation,
the building suffered extensive fire damage to the roof
and rear 25 feet of the building.
building is located on a curvilinear street, on top of a
slight hill on a short block at an important and scenic
intersection in the historic Robbins Park subdivision, and
because of its original tower, was historically known as
the Stuart Castle. The house's original owner, John Stuart,
was one of the signers of the Petition for Incorporation
of the Village of Hinsdale in 1873. He built this house
that same year.
its original design was in the Second Empire style, the
building represents an evolution over several different
architectural periods. Elaborate eave brackets, unusual
window surrounds and much of the original wood siding with
a beaded edge still exist today. The foundation is fieldstone,
typical of the time period. The building also displays balustrades
and other features of the Colonial Revival style from its
current owners are rehabilitating the building and constructing
an addition on the rear of the structure.
c. 1920. Photo courtesy Hinsdale Historical Society.
2003 building restoration.